Click on the STREAM "knob" above or here to listen.
GUESTS FOR WEDNESDAY APRIL 23, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Big "victory" for the NRA with the signing today in Georgia of the the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014 (unofficially known as the "Guns Everywhere Bill"). Do you agree with loosening gun-carry laws?.....Call 877-489-9421.
- Jim Warren, NY Daily News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief, former managing editor at the Chicago Tribune. Big week of controversial cases in front of the Supreme Court, with their decision Tuesday to uphold Michigan's Affirmative Action ban at public Universities - as well as arguments heard about whether it's legal to put lies in political ads (SUSAN B. ANTHONY LIST V. DRIEHAUS) and whether the company Aereo, can legally capture and re-distribute free "over-the-air" network television programming (ABC v. AEREO).
- John Rosenthal, President of Meridith Management in Boston. He is also a gun owner and Co-Founder of nonprofit groups "Stop Handgun Violence", "Common Sense About Kids and Guns", and "American Hunters and Shooters Association". Georgia Governor Nathan Deal today signed a law that will allow people in his state to carry guns in bars, churches, schools, airports and government buildings. The law also adds some "Stand Your Ground" type language which essentially means that an illegally-purchased gun can be used in self-defense without the shooter being charged for illegally possessing the weapon. Additional features of the law: Police Officers will no longer be permitted to ask whether a person carrying a gun has a valid permit; hunters can now hunt using silencers on their guns; the state will not be allowed to keep a list of citizens with valid gun permits; teachers/administrators/janitors/cooks or other school employees may carry concealed weapons in schools as long as they've been given permission by the school district; people will not be charged if caught trying to take guns into restricted areas in airports...
Green Day Wednesday segments as we celebrate Earth Day this week:
- Rona Fried, Founder & CEO of www.SustainableBusiness.com, a global news and networking website dedicated to green business. It was Earth Day yesterday and we spoke with Rona Fried, the woman behind the great green news and business website - sustainablebusiness.com. Click HERE for the latest Daily News Stories from Sustainable Business. [Previously Recorded]
- Bob Deans, Director of Federal Communications in the Communications Department at the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC). On this Earth Day Week 2014... we join the NRDC in urging the Government to take action to address climate change by taking a strong stance on "cutting carbon pollution from power plants". Power plants generate 40% of America's Carbon outut. The NRDC is featuring a number of things this Earth Day from reducing Carbon emissions to the Keystone XL Pipeline AND protecting the water and wildlife around us from herbicides, pesticides & environmental destruction. [Previously Recorded]
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR TUESDAY APRIL 22, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Teacher Tuesday Recognizes Education Support Professionals & It's Earth Day!How are you celebrating Earth Day today? What are your top Green Priorities?.
TEACHER TUESDAY SEGMENT, SPONSORED BY THE NATIONAL EDUCATION ASSOCIATION (NEA)
- Debby Chandler, 20-year Attendance Secretary at Rogers High School, Spokane, Washington who also serves as a Parent-Community Specialist. She is the Washington Education Association's 2013 Education Support Professional of the Year; Spokane Education Association Vice President; and National Council for ESPs Pacific Regional Director through 2014. Wednesday April 23rd is Administrative Professionals Day and on this Teacher Tuesday segment we're talking about School Secretaries and other Education Support Professionals (ESPs) and what they do for our students and school communities. Outside of teachers, Education Support Professionals see the students every day and help them deal with all kinds of issues from academic support to stresses at home and addressing poverty and hunger. Of NEA's 3 million members, approximately 500,000 are Education Support Professionals. They include: food service workers; custodians and maintenance workers; clerical professionals; security officials; who implement security policies and crisis response plans; para-educators; health and student service workers; transportation workers; skilled trades professionals AND technical service workers! It takes a village to raise a well-rounded, successful student!
- Nick Cafardo, National baseball writer for The Boston Globe. NESN and MLB Network correspondent. We're talking Red Sox baseball...and a look at how the MLB season is going so far.
- Rona Fried, Founder & CEO of www.SustainableBusiness.com, a global news and networking website dedicated to green business. It's Earth Day and who better to talk with than Rona Fried, the woman behind the great green news and business website - sustainablebusiness.com. We usually talk with Rona on Wednesdays...Click HERE for the latest Daily News Stories from Sustainable Business
- Bob Deans, Director of Federal Communications in the Communications Department at the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC). On this Earth Day 2014... we join the NRDC in urging the Government to take action to address climate change by taking a strong stance on "cutting carbon pollution from power plants". Power plants generate 40% of America's Carbon outut. The NRDC is featuring a number of things this Earth Day from reducing Carbon emissions to the Keystone XL Pipeline AND protecting the water and wildlife around us from herbicides, pesticides & environmental destruction.
- Brad Bannon, CEO, Bannon Communications Research, a Democratic political consulting and polling firm. You can read his commentaries at www.USNews.com. We're continuing the conversation about Earth Day and the intersection of climate action with jobs and politics with our regular Tuesday commentator Brad Bannon. He thinks it's time to act on climate change...Check out his Earth Day column at US News, "Needed Now: Action to Stop Climate Change - Americans need to realize how dire the threat really is.
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR FRIDAY APRIL 18, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW:.
- Jim Dean, Chair, Democracy for America (DFA). We'll be looking at the continued GOP attacks on the Affordable Care Act now that the numbers are coming in and they're looking good...
- Amalie Benjamin, Bruins beat writer for the Boston Globe. The NHL Hockey Playoffs are underway...a few games have been played already, and the top seeded Boston Bruins meet the Detroit Redwings tonight for the first game of their best-of-seven series!
- Earl Bender - President of Avenel Associates, political strategist at Totten Communications and regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. Earl's in sunny California today! We'll talk about the surprisingly good numbers for "Obamacare" signups and other news on this "Good Friday".
Today at 3:14pm EST, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh will be Jeff's guest. Jeff will talk with the Mayor about his first 100 Days in office, the emotional week remembering the Marathon bombing, this year's race next Monday AND what his priorities are for the rest of 2014!
Listen in the Boston area on WBNW AM 1120 or online HERE.
You can call in during the show at our Toll-Free Listener Hotline 877-489-9421 or submit a question at the Jeff Santos Show facebook page.
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR WEDNESDAY APRIL 16, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Former Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference joins us for Green Day...877-489-9421.
- Andrew Ference, former defenseman for the Boston Bruins and current Captain of the Edmonton Oilers. It's "Green Day Wednesday"...our guest Andrew Ference is widely known for his environmental activism - people around the National Hockey League call him "Mr. Green" because of that. We'll ask him about Earth Day next week and other green issues he's focusing on these days (Edmonton is in Alberta, home of the Tar Sands that Keystone XL pipeline supporters would like to ship to the Gulf Coast...) We'll also talk a little hockey of course, and ask the Oilers' captain how it's going on his new team, what their prospects are for 2015...and how he thinks of his time here in Boston - especially on this week when we remember the Marathon bombing.
- Maria Cramer, Boston Globe Reporter. One year since the Boston Marathon bombing and a lot of things have changed in the city... next Monday is the 2014 Boston Marathon with thousands more runners signed up than last year. People are feeling "Boston Strong" and wanting to show solidarity...but how will this event be different than past marathons? Maria has been researching the security changes for this year's marathon and is here to tell us about it.
- Terry O'Neill, President, National Organization for Women (NOW). The "new" GOP is claiming to be inclusive - by dropping anti-gay/anti-women planks from their platforms, - but are they really?
- Scott Bates, President at the Center for National Policy (a Truman National Security Project Partner). We'll look at the current situation between Russia and Ukraine: the latest movements in Ukraine with Russian troops and Russian-backed activists; how Ukrainians are responding; are our EU/G7 allies playing a "wait-and-see" game with Putin; and how much support is there for different sides?
Tune in today at 3:14pm for an interview with former Boston Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference, currently captain of the Edmonton Oilers. The Bruins finished the Season at the top of the league and are first seed in the Playoffs that started yesterday; the Oilers will have to wait 'til next year to take a crack at the cup!
We'll talk with Andrew Ference about the Playoffs, how the transition to his new team has been, and his reflections on his time in Boston - especially this week as we remember the Boston Marathon Bombing and how the City came together in the days and weeks afterwards. Boston's sports teams were a big part in the early healing process; the Bruins played the first professional sports game after the bombing last year...
GUESTS FOR TUESDAY APRIL 15, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: One Year Since Boston Marathon Bombing... were you there? Teacher Tuesday Looks at School Violence as we approach some other sad anniversaries; and.. It's Tax Day!...877-489-9421.
TEACHER TUESDAY SEGMENT, SPONSORED BY THE NATIONAL EDUCATION ASSOCIATION (NEA)
- Michael "Mike" Crossey, President, Pennsylvania State Education Association (PSEA). School Safety...This week is the anniversary of the Virginia Tech and Columbine school shootings, as well as the recent mass stabbing just a week ago at the Franklin Regional High School near Pittsburgh, PA., where teachers came back yesterday for counseling training, and the students will return to classes tomorrow - one week after the original attack. As we remember these sad anniversaries, we'll talk about how schools deal with violent incidents and then what it takes afterwards to put the community back together and make people feel safe and whole again. Schools should be a safe haven for learning and developing. Do highly publicized school shootings (with their related school drills that include lockdowns and hiding) add to a general sense of anxiety in our students? How are the NEA and state education associations addressing school violence - before and after it happens? What do we need to do to keep schools safe? What kind of resources can the NEA provide to students/parents?
- John Businger, Former Massachusetts State Rep, serving the Town of Brookline for almost 30 years and chief advocate for the Boston North-South Station Rail Link. We reflect on the Boston Marathon Bombing on the one year anniversary of that sad day... Vice President Biden, MA Governor Patrick and Boston Marty Walsh spoke at a televised tribute today from the Hynes Convention Center just blocks from the Marathon bomb blast.... AND....there's movement on the MA Transportation funding Bill...how are things looking for the North-South Station Rail Link project?
- John Nichols, Washington Correspondent for the Nation Magazine, co-author of the book "Dollarocracy" with Robert McChesney, and associate Editor of the Capital Times in Madison, WI. Last week, Citizens United had a big "Freedom Summit" event in New Hampshire, helping to kick off Republican presidential activities in the Granite State with guests including Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee & "the Donald"... while on the other side of town... Senator Bernie Sanders was holding a packed town-hall meeting where he talked about the outrageous influence of big money in elections and the damage it is doing to American democracy; he talked about how the Supreme Court is turning America into an oligarchy. John has an article at the Nation about the competing New Hampshire political events. He's also been writing about labor leader & civil rights A. Philip Randolph who would have been 125 years old today. Randolph started his long career as the "essential organizer of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters" and was the man behind the March on Washington in 1963. John writes..."A. Philip Randolph Was Right: 'We Will Need To Continue Demonstrations".
- Brad Bannon, CEO, Bannon Communications Research, a Democratic political consulting and polling firm. You can read his commentaries at www.USNews.com, on the Marathon bombing one year later... as well as the usual political talk! Check out Brad's latest article where he tells Republicans: You're Stone Age GOP - When it comes to women's issues, Republican policies and rhetoric are stuck in the prehistoric era.
GUESTS FOR WEDNESDAY APRIL 9, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: It's Green Day Wednesday! Do you agree with politicians who want to make addressing Climate Change a top priority?.
- Rona Fried, Founder & CEO of www.SustainableBusiness.com, a global news and networking website dedicated to green business. It's "Green Day Wednesday"...some disturbing news this week with the latest update on climate change by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) AND a new high with the atmosphere exceeding 400parts-per-million of carbon....even though that news is bleak and frightening, Rona always has something positive to share from the world of green news stories she's been writing about at sustainablebusiness.com:
These are just a few of the Green stories from www.SustainableBusiness.com this week: Koch Brothers' anti-Obama Ads are really anti-Climate Change Ads; Two of the world's biggest solar companies (Spain's Abengoa and SunEdison) are going public; and in not-so-good news, Tennessee bans Mass Transit! That's right, the Tennessee State Senate passed a bill that essentially blocks state mass transit projects (Americans for Prosperity pushed this amendment through)!
- Len Egert, Executive Director for the SAG-AFTRA San Francisco-Northern California Local. This week SAG-AFTRA launched a "Save Local Radio" Campaign to help staff at San Francisco's 96.5 KOIT FM station fight back against pay cuts and job changes that they've been dealing with since media conglomerate Entercom bought the station in 2007 and proceeded to "gut" their union contract. They are currently negotiating for a new contract, and Len will tell us the key terms they're hoping to include, such as the "Use and Re-use" of broadcast materials and other key issues.... We'll also talk about the importance of Locally owned and run media - for the community and for the broadcast media workers!